joon is the loveliest writer and so sympatico i wish we had known one another back in my fashion writing days. when he recently introduced me to someone as a “politically feminine feminist” it was probably supposed to be descriptive, but i took it as a compliment.
i must really like you and really trust you if i have ever confided just how much i paid for these special-occasion-only alexander mcqueen heels that are so amazing they were in vogue twice—once on chloe sevigny! im sad its too snowy to wear them tonight in memorium.
when marisa and i wrote the sassy book, 10% of the people we told totally got it and were psyched and the other 90% would say things like, “why are you writing a book about a teen magazine?” our rallying cry was not that we were “writing women back into history,” but it was pretty close.
if we had made inspirational shirts to keep us going through the many trials and tribulations—emails with jane pratt’s assistant, phone calls with spike jonze, the afternoons at podunk, the ill-conceived cleanse done the last few days of editing—they would have been american apparel baby ts. for obvious reasons.
but these second wave style sweatshirts are pretty great. they remind me of the t-shirts we once bought at the smith college botanic garden that say “a century of women on topsoil.” no, im serious, they are right here! check out the cut.
marisa, i cant wait to see you wearing this plum-colored fleece sweatshirt while you make, i dont know, hot toddies in our golden girls house. cannot wait.
i once went to a shoe store with a fashion magazine editor friend who was lusting after a pair of pink lame (thats with the accent on the ‘e’) heels. “where would you wear those?” our male colleague asked. “at home in front of the tv!” she replied gleefully.
girl after my own heart, she bought them.
i kind of want to wear this 90s versace while alone in my apartment reading deleuze and guattari on desiring-machines, bodies without organs, fluxes, and flows. for now ill have to settle for american apparel.
This is the past/this is the future.
helmut newton obviously did not know or care about feminist disability studies and neither did i when i loved this picture in 1995. now it reminds me of the time i almost got in an accident pulling out of the chateau marmont exactly where newton got in his crash. so many layers! also: lady gaga paparazzi. its sort of like if the nadja aumerann character took revenge.
Helmut Newton, Vogue February 1995
“last night was so fun! i loved your turtleneck.”
“Between the two of us, we kind of make an ideal husband, because he can do all the masculine things I can’t do.”—R. Crumb on wife Aline’s “second husband”-slash-lover.
i like how aline is working a pre-american apparel look here.